Program Engagement Officer - Tanzania
DREAMS is an ambitious $385 million partnership to reduce HIV infections among adolescent girls and young women in 10 sub-Saharan African countries. The goal of DREAMS is to help girls develop into Determined, Resilient, Empowered, AIDS-free, Mentored, and Safe women. To complement DREAMS, an Innovation Challenge was launched to build upon existing evidence-based approaches and infuse additional resources and innovative approaches to better meet the urgent and complex needs of adolescent girls and young women in sub-Saharan Africa. Ushahidi has received a grant to implement a tool to use Feedback Data, Open Data, and Social Media to Enable Agile Response and Improve Decision Making in Kenya, Uganda and Tanzania.
- Support the Project Director as the lead for in-country activities and be the primary contact for the project in-country;
- Identify and establish in-country partnerships within DREAMS core, DREAMS Innovation Challenge (IC) and other organisations working in HIV prevention and awareness relevant to our project;
- Lead in-country awareness and engagement efforts to raise the profile of the project and increase participation under overall supervision of the Engagement Director;
- Participate in country level, regional and local coordination meetings as mandated by the programme;
- Conduct in-country training sessions on the solution to partners and target groups;
- Identify key decision makers in the HIV Awareness/Prevention space and influence them to make use of the product;
- Collect data for Monitoring and Evaluation as directed by the M&E Manager including data from baseline, midline and endline surveys and throughout the project;
- Identify relevant in-country open data sources for the project;
- Collect and pass on feedback to technical team on usage of the product and recommend improvements;
- Keep track of all in-country project activities and flag potential issues early and suggest solutions;
- Internal and external communication e.g. making presentations;
- Contribute to writing periodic and annual work plans and reports;
- Travel as required to project areas.
- Ample project management experience along with planning and time management skills;
- Crowdsourcing experience through the use of SMS/social media, knowledge of the use of Ushahidi desirable;
- Partnership forming and managemenment experience;
- Knowledge and experience applying monitoring and evaluation tools in project management and using information gathered to improve project performance;
- Experience in conducting technical training activities;
- Understanding of HIV Awareness programs and activities desirable;
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment and with a wide range of stakeholders;
- Outstanding English oral and written communication skills;
- Working experience in at least one of the participating countries of the project;
- Understanding of social media and online communities;
- Ability to travel to project areas.
Profile & competences
- Strong ICT/UX skills and application;
- Demonstrable skills in project management;
- Proficiency in written and spoken English;
- Academic and analytical thinking;
- Proactive attitude and often come up with new ideas;
- Willing to work, responsible and independent and can perform under pressure.
- Our goal in hiring is to find great people first, great skills second.
- We don’t care when you work. There are no “business hours” at Ushahidi, we are milestone based, not a sit-in-your-chair from 9 to 5 company;
- Quality of life. Ushahidi attracts workaholics, so we all work hard to make sure everyone has a work-life balance;
- A chance to positively influence the HIV Awareness and Prevention sphere.
Why you might not be a good fit:
- We pay competitively at Ushahidi, however, keep in mind that we are a mission-driven non-profit.
- You only want to wear one hat. Ushahidi is growing (30+ employees) but we take on the goals of much larger organizations. In practice this means that all Ushahidians end up wearing multiple hats and working on multiple projects. If that excites you, great! If you are set on never venturing out of your job title, you’re going to get frustrated fast.