Ushahidi is a data collection, monitoring, and response software that helps communities, activists, companies, and humanitarian organizations gather critical information to understand what is happening on the ground and then be able to respond more effectively. Ushahidi helps disadvantaged communities raise their voice, and those who serve them to listen and respond better. Our platform has been used in over 160 countries by the UN Peacekeeping missions, Obama Campaign 2012, the World Bank, by humanitarian organizations like Red Cross and World Vision in response to major crisis situations in Kenya, Haiti, Japan, Syria and Nepal, and by thousands of local activist and community groups.
We are remote organisation. We have an HQ office in Nairobi where about 40% of our team is based, another 40% is based across the USA, and the remaining 20% internationally, putting us in about eight different countries around the world. This allows us to be a diverse global organization while remaining small enough to know everyone on the team.
Responsibilities of this Role
- First and foremost to grow our user base.
- Create marketing campaigns. Write marketing copy, help design and create copy, designs, video, or other media to engage potential users, convert interested users, and help onboard new users onto the platforms.
- Increase conversions of site visitors to engaged users.
- Manage all advertising.
- Create and manage the marketing strategy and communicate it clearly internally.
- Grow inbound leads for sales team.
- Team storytelling. Help bring attention to our work and the users of our software through developing content, case studies, videos, and other means to tell our stories.
- Ability to travel for speaking at conferences.
What we are looking for in this role
This is a hard job. We are a mission-driven social enterprise that makes open source software for the humanitarian, government, and international development industries to improve crisis response, election monitoring, citizen engagement, and human rights reporting. We have also had clients in the following markets: media, insurance, service delivery, municipalities, and private sector marketing.
Your experience should include:
- Someone with at least 5+ years experience marketing software to enterprise clients ideally in the international development, humanitarian, and public sectors and subsectors.
- Proven experience building marketing campaigns and a marketing funnel with enterprise clients for a software company.
- Extra points if you have an existing network and understanding of the international development, humanitarian, and public sectors and subsectors.
- Experience building and managing a marketing team.
- Experience creating and implementing a marketing strategy that is integrated with sales, customer service, and product strategies.
What we look for in all our employees
- People who like working on hard problems.
- Willingness to help out where you’re needed: responding to coworkers, helping community members in need, taking on a project that needs being done, researching best practices from other organizations and helping implement them here.
- Drive for working with and supporting our clients and customers.
- Drive for international development and social justice.
- Eagerness to take feedback, grow and further your skills.
- A passion for technology.
- A desire to build things that aim to help those in need.
- Ability to communicate effectively across cultures and time zones.
Why You Might Be A Good Fit
- Independence. Ushahidi operates under a de facto system of commander’s intent in a largely remote working environment. That is, the team agrees upon goals and strategies, but the day to day of how it is accomplished is left largely up to each employee. Nobody will be leaning over your shoulder telling you what to do everyday and when to do it, we expect you to be able to do that yourself.
- Intrinsically motivated. Ushahidi came from Nairobi, but team members work all around the world. If you need to come into an office and talk to your boss everyday to stay motivated, this job is not for you. If all you need is a crazy cool project, an awesome group of people online 24/7, wifi, and coffee (or tea), then you’ll fit right in.
- Ability to get things done and hit metrics. Being remote and a group of self-driven people we don’t care how many hours you worked or how many meetings you went to, we all set tangible goals that move the needle each quarter and measure our success on those goals.
Why You Might Not Be A Good Fit
- We pay competitively at Ushahidi using a pay calculator that is based on role, experience, location, and time at the company; however, keep in mind that we are still a mission driven non-profit and we recognize we do not pay what our for-profit software company friends pay. We believe that quality of life is as valuable as the dollar.
- This role will come with a commission package for closed sales.
- You only want to wear one hat. Ushahidi is growing (30+ employees) but we take on the goals of much larger organizations. In practice this means that all Ushahidians end up wearing multiple hats and working on multiple projects. If that excites you, great. If you are set on never venturing out of your job title, you’re going to get frustrated fast.
- You want to be in an office surrounded by colleagues. You will most likely be operating on your own most of the time, and in this role spending a lot of time doing demos, on the phone, and getting coffee with potential clients, but you will experience your colleagues through a video-chat the majority of the time.
Why Working At Ushahidi Is Awesome
- We don’t care when you work. There are no “business hours” at Ushahidi, we are milestone based, not a sit-in-your-chair from 9 to 5 company. Many staff have children and work around their schedules, all that matters is that you hit your milestones.
- Ushahidi team members currently live all over the world: from Japan and New Zealand, to Nairobi and San Francisco, making this a global company while simultaneously small enough to know everyone.
- Yearly company retreat in pretty incredible places such as the Kenyan Coast, a rank in Austin, or the Italian Alps. We work remote, but once a year we get the whole company together in one physical location to plan for the year ahead, as well as hang out and enjoy each others company.
- We aim to hire great people who support our open and diverse culture.
- Quality of life. Ushahidi attracts workaholics, so we all work hard to make sure everyone has a work-life balance.
- Other benefits: Take what you want vacation policy (Minimum 25 days a year), parental leave
- Healthcare insurance and other HR insurance package.
- Co-working space stipend.
- Interesting and engaging international travel.