General Applicants: Developer
We may not be hiring for a specific positions, but we're always keen to hear from passionate software engineers who want to join our team. Have a look at the skills we need, and if you're what we're looking for, drop us a line.
Ushahidi is a crowdsourcing and data collection tool that helps communities, activists, companies, and humanitarian organizations gather and share critical information with the people that need it most. Ushahidi uses visualizations like maps and lists to help you understand what happened, when, and where.
We are remote organisation, we have an office in Nairobi but even staff there spend some time working from home/cafes/etc
What we look for
- Willingness to help out where you’re needed: responding to coworkers, helping a community members fix a bug, or working deep in the code
- Drive for working with and supporting our clients and customers
- Drive for international development and social justice
- Eagerness to take feedback, grow and further your skills
- A passion for programming and open source
- A practice of reading and writing in technical terms, following and leaving records of technical work
- Experience with some or all of our JS stack: AngularJS, Browserify, Leaflet and a bunch of smaller libraries
- Experience with some or all of our PHP stack: Kohana, Laravel, Aura, Symfony, and League, along with other smaller libraries
Bonus points if you..
- have used or deployed Ushahidi’s tools
- have experience working on an open source product
- love using and building beautiful maps
- have experience with mobile app development (Android, iOS or Cordova apps)
- have experience with Ansible or other server automation tools
- Used any of: NodeJS, MySQL, Nginx, Vagrant, PostgreSQL, Symfony, Laravel, JS app frameworks (Backbone, React, Ember, etc), Browserify
Why You Might Be A Good Fit
- Independence. Ushahidi operates under a de facto system of commander’s intent. That is, the team agrees upon a goal, but how it is accomplished is left largely up to everyone. Nobody will be leaning over your shoulder telling you what to do everyday, we expect you to be able to do that yourself.
- Team oriented. Desire to work with and support other developers in the team. We rely on team members to support each other, review each others code, and generally help each other keep winning.
- Intrinsically motivated. Ushahidi came from Nairobi, but team members work all around the world. If you need to come into an office and talk to your boss everyday to stay motivated, this job is not for you. If all you need is a crazy cool project, wifi, and coffee, then you’ll fit right in.
- Ability to get things done and ship. We’d love you to write beautiful elegant code every time but at crunch time: getting things done matters. You’ll need to pick the right balance between doing it right and doing it fast.
- Community driven. Desire to work with the community, dig into their use cases, and help them solve problems. Ushahidi has a large and dedicated community whose needs have evolved.
Why You Might Not Be A Good Fit
- We pay competitively at Ushahidi, however, keep in mind that we are still a mission driven non-profit.
- You only want to wear one hat. Ushahidi is growing (30+ employees) but we take on the goals of much larger organizations. In practice this means that all Ushahidians end up wearing multiple hats and working on multiple projects. If that excites you, great! If you are set on never venturing out of your job title, you’re going to get frustrated fast.
- You want to be in an office surrounded by colleagues. You will most likely be operating on your own unless you are based in Nairobi, where about half our team is based.
We strongly encourage people from traditionally underrepresented populations in tech - such as women, People of Color, People with Disabilities, and LGBTQ+ people, etc - to apply!
Why Working At Ushahidi Is Awesome
- Our goal in hiring is to find great people first, great skills second.
- We generally don’t care where you live. As long as you have Internet access, live wherever you want. Ushahidi team members currently live all over the world: from Japan and New Zealand, to Nairobi and San Francisco.
- We don’t care when you work. There are no “business hours” at Ushahidi, we are milestone based, not a sit-in-your-chair from 9 to 5 company.
- Yearly company retreat. We work remote, but once a year we get the whole company together in one physical location to plan for the year ahead, as well as hang out and enjoy each others company.
- Quality of life. Ushahidi attracts workaholics, so we all work hard to make sure everyone has a work-life balance.
- Other benefits: Take what you want vacation policy (Minimum 25 days a year), parental leave, allowance for health insurance, allowance for a coworking space.